The potential rule change follows similar initiatives in the U.S. and Canada.
April 16, 2011
Great Britain may follow in the footsteps of the U.S. and Canada by requiring helmets for lower-level dressage riders.
British Dressage is currently seeking input from its membership on a potential rule change for 2012.
- Mandate safety hats at all times for everyone riding at a BD affiliated show, whether competing or not, with a permitted exception for those who compete at Advanced or higher, who may wear top hats for the competition phase only.
- Mandate safety hats at all times for those competing at Advanced Medium and below with Advanced+ riders permitted to wear hats of their choice for both working in and competition.
- Mandate safety hats only for riders competing in Young Horse classes which, by their nature, are likely to have a higher risk.
- Mandate safety hats for younger riders competing in classes restricted to that specific age group. Note. It is not possible to mandate a hat rule for a specific age group in mixed competition where younger riders compete alongside adults
- Continue to leave the decision as the responsibility of the rider and review when the FEI make a change to their rules.
- April 18, 2011